HOW TO FORGIVE MYSELF FROM CHILDHOOD MISTAKES

I FEEL SO GUILTY OF THE THINGS I DID IN THE PAST. WHEN I WAS JUST A KID, YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE BUT I USED TO STEAL STUFF FROM STORES. I ALSO STARTED BEING SEXUALLY ACTIVE WHEN I WAS JUST 9 AND DID A LOT OF THINGS WITH MY PLAYMATES. I FEEL SO BAD. I HAVE APOLOGIZED TO THE PEOPLE I WRONGED AND WAS FORGIVEN BUT I COULDN'T OFFER FORGIVENESS TO MYSELF.

Comments

• edited August 13

Hey. I dont know how old you are but im almost 40 years old and sometimes i think and feel the same way you do. As a teen, i have done things that brought shame to me and my family. Those mistakes affected my self-esteem as an adult really badly. But here's what I tell myself every time i feel embarrassed over the mistakes I have done in the past. Mistakes are not something we should be ashamed of. They are for us humans to learn from. It will teach us what our weaknesses are and how we can improve on ourselves by acknowledging where we went wrong and fixing it. We should look at our mistakes positively as it is through our mistakes that we can better as individuals. We make mistakes for many different reasons. It could be the thrill, the excitement brought by breaking the rules, it may be the need for attention or something else. Everybody makes mistakes! Even those who appear perfect have at some point made a mistake.

Whenever I feel bad about my past mistakes, here's what I do. I imagine myself as another person, like the mistake was made by that person and not me. It's not like I'm not owning up to my mistakes or not holding myself accountable for what I have done. I truly do. But when it comes to forgiveness, it's just easier for me to forgive other people than to forgive myself. And I know that I deserve to be forgiven by myself for something silly 17-year-old me had done. SOmehow, that works for me.

I have also learned that most of my mistakes came from not being able to manage my emotions successfully. So here's another advice. Take care of your mental health especially the emotional aspect of it. Be kind to yourself and to other people. This brings me to my second advice which is to treat people who have aslo made mistakes with respect. Look at them as people who are capable of changing. Be compassionate. This will hopefully be easy for you since you have been through the same thing. But take my words with a grain of salt. ALl things are governed by context and not everything I say may work for you as it did for me.

I wish you all the best kid. You'll get through this.

• Thank you Juan Stevens but what I did is much worse than let's say stealing gum from a convenient store. I MADE TWO BOYS AND GIRLS YOUNGER THAN ME KISS EACH OTHER. IN. THER. GENITALS. Just typing out these words make me sick to my stomach. But i had to, to get the kind of advice that would really apply to my situation. It just appeared in my memory about half a year ago. All these time it was hidden at the back of my mind. And now that i have rediscovered it, things have not been easy. I don't think i could ever forgive myself.